Manic Depression- a poem

 Manic Depression


Hey, my name is bipolar disorder
But you can call me manic depression
You're not aware of my existence yet
But I'm here to leave an indelible impression

I was given to you by your father
And have been dormant within your genetic design
Now I'm awakened by that traumatic incident
After being asleep in you for 25 years of time

Now that person is hurting you
And you're slipping into the dark
I'm whispering some hopelessness and insomnia
And forthwith, on a depressive episode you embark

I murmur anger and hostility in your head
Until your brain is in my control
I provoke some uncontrollable crying
In an attempt to destroy your fragile soul

Messages of fatigue and worthlessness 
Injected in you but just before you explode
I give you extraordinary euphoria and energy
And it marks the commencement of your manic episode

Your train of thought becomes so swift
You're unable to match pace
Your skyrocketing delusional self-worth 
Feeling like you're an impeccable ace

Impulsive, restless and excessively gregarious
Spending all your savings on that exorbitant dress
So distant from reality, you don't realize you're nearing bankruptcy
But once you do, you'll fall into that abyss of stress

I'll steer you to suicidal thoughts and hallucinations
You'll almost believe it's impossible to be free
But if you gather the courage to get help
I do take no for an answer and bend my knee

Support from strong relationships could bring some hope
But only if they hold your hand before you've drowned
I get worse if left untreated
But therapy and medications could turn your circumstances around

I could follow you throughout your life
Or you could try and leave behind some extent of mania and depression
Even if I stop talking to you on a daily basis
I'm sure I have left an indelible impression
-Maithili

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will You- a poem

Safety net- a poem

Still gain ground- a poem