Stake over self- a poem

 Stake over self

picture from: @debbieclark_art




I tended to romanticize my life a lot

All my faith was vested in the world, its people, its places, and its ways

I wanted to change the system and rise to power in days

Hoping I would roll people’s lives around like some dice

I would snap my fingers, and everyone would heed my advice

But who are we kidding

Neither can I skip the snowstorms of the West

Nor does the earth rotate at my behest

But I do have control on what music I listen to when I walk in the storm

And whether or not I adhere to the norm

I can choose to forgive myself for the unintentional mistakes made

I can decide which problem to tackle and what to evade

If I want, I can make the best out of my week

I can choose to stay hopeful and respond with love when everything around is bleak

I still tend to romanticize my life a lot

I’m bruised by the jostles of callous people, desolate places, and painful episodes

I’m wrought by the choice of not walking on the rutted roads

And so, this time all my faith and hope are vested in me

This time I assume authority over everything I can be

-Maithili

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will You- a poem

Safety net- a poem

Still gain ground- a poem