Outsider

 Outsider

I knew exactly what to say
The tone, the expression that would slay
I bolted through every outcome in 5 seconds
But I was at work and decided, "Not Today!"

But then I scanned the room
To bump into one person with whom
I could get his hate out my system
And take but one step away from gloom

Couldn't, I let his racism win
My shoes began the aimless spin
Couldn't spot one co-worker
Without noticing the colour of their skin

I let the What ifs catch me
What if they think the same thoughts as he
What if they give me a hug
Because they pity the girl from across the sea

Ordinarily my emotional bandwidth is wider
But tonight I need an apple cider
Tonight I wonder is it so far-fetched to not hate
And to not make people feel like an outsider

Maithili

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will You- a poem

Safety net- a poem

Still gain ground- a poem