You're there and I'm not

You're there and I'm not 

You’re abroad, seas apart, but you know I’ll sail across all oceans if the flight is too expensive

Mommy’s always patting your back, so baby don’t be pensive.

Your might is my pride honey, my shoulders broad and chin up because I know you’re going to make it

Don’t you bend your knee to the hurdle, if you can’t leap over then break it

 

I’m peeking through your window like sunshine, my baby flower

Stumble, fall, but get up, don’t you give in after we’ve come so far

I see you screaming against the waves of failure and the wind of frustration

Honey, I want to see you march another mile and pierce through the brunt of isolation

 

Tie your pony tail high today, wear your tears like your favourite dress

Mommy’s the muse of your thoughts babe, mommy’s there in your restlessness

You may wash off all the inhibitions and apprehensions that no longer serve

My girl, don’t you heed those who disparage you for your nerve

 

There, look in the mirror, that is mommy’s reason to show up every day

You might not see me with you but I’ll always be within you, no matter where you stay

Buy a canvas and paint success honey and your painting shall manifest

Don’t lose faith my tigress, jump off the cliff and put your wings to test

 

You’re the image of every strength I got, imbibe the values I taught

Even if you’re there and I’m not.

Wish I could witness my daughter giving life her best shot

But alas, you’re there and I’m not

-Maithili

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Will You- a poem

Safety net- a poem

Still gain ground- a poem